It's finally happening. We're pulling into the home stretch of Regular Decision. The long days at home reading files have turned into long days at work discussing applications around our conference room table. I actually felt nostalgic as I perused applications at Le Pain Quotidien this weekend. Sniff sniff. I like reading season.
For me committee always brings mixed emotions. In a perfect world, the entering class size, like the seating in the dining hall, would always be n + 1; reality, unfortunately, is not so accommodating. It's thrilling to watch the Class of 2015 take shape, but not so delightful to confront the physical limitations that bind our decisions. You applied to Mudd because you want a low student-professor ratio, great research opportunities, and an intimate residential community; maintaining those require that we not admit every single student we admire and consider potentially successful. And that's painful.
The sheer volume of paper involved in the Regular Decision process is nothing short of staggering. Aileen's office (top photo) has been completely taken over by buckets of applications, and there are again as many buckets stashed in auxiliary locations throughout Kingston. You've heard the disparaging term "paper pusher" used for office workers; judging from how much time we spend physically carting around admission files, I can't deny the phrase is apt. I'm building some serious muscle from toting the file bins. Paper is heavy!
Also note the giant bar of chocolate. I'm responsible for this too.
Wow, decision time is almost here! I cant believe how much work you guys have, thanks for all the patience and I'm looking forward to hearing back from HMC, though i cant say I'm not nervous.
ReplyDeleteHi Colleen, I was just wondering if you guys are also in charge of the PSP applications. And if so, when are the finalists notified for the interview?
ReplyDeleteHere at my uncle's home, I have reserved rights only for myself to open the mailbox for the next 20 days!
ReplyDeleteAnonymous - Yes, the admission staff selects the PSP finalists. We'll do that at the very end of the process and notify the finalists via e-mail after letters have been dispatched. We cover the cost (if any) of transportation to & from campus for the interview. PSP recipients are selected in mid-April. Thanks for this comment; it reminds me I should do a quick FAQ post soon!
ReplyDeleteVIctor & Manu - we'll try to have letters for you soon! I think I can safely guarantee it will be within the next 20 days.